.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

 

The ISS Zooms Past Saturn (22 September 2015)

The International Space Station flies over Saturn as seen from Adelaide on  22 September. Imaged with my Canon IXUS, 400 ASA at around 19:34 ACST.  Stack of 3 x 5 second exposures in Deep Sky Stacker (one frame was dropped) . Click to embiggen (especially if you want to see Saturn clearly).The International Space Station flies over Saturn as seen from Adelaide on  22 September. Imaged with my Canon IXUS, 400 ASA at around 19:34 ACST.  Stack of 4 x 5 second exposures in ImageJ. Click to embiggen (especially if you want to see Saturn clearly).

Despite the afternoon cloud the evening turned out to be gloriously clear. Because the ISS was going to come within a telescope field of the ISS I debated setting up the telescope to record the fly-by. But with only one camera suitable for recording o either tripod of telescope I opted for tripod only.

As you see the ISS pretty much grazed Saturn, which would have looked great in a scope. But I had set up the camera on the tripod and was ready to go. Unfortunately, the heavens above prediction was out by a bout a minute, so I started my timing run a little too late, but I got the ISS just as iyt went over Saturn. Looked even more impressive in the sky.

Close up of Saturn and the ISS in a single frame.Animation of the ISS going over Saturn. 4 x 5 second images animated in ImageJ

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?